Check out the “Mash Squat Every Day” E-Book with 4 twelve week programs for weightlifting, powerlifting, super total, and bodybuilding. Find out more below:
Join Team Mash Mafia for weightlifting, powerlifting, athletic performance, bodybuilding, running, or a hybrid approach. This team is already taking over weightlifting, and I plan on taking over all of the other disciplines one at a time. Check it out below:
The Squat Every Day Learn 2 Lift Clinic is coming to Canada, and then the 3-Day Mash Camp is happening at the Compound. To find out more, check out the link below:
Let’s Talk Programming
I love programming. It’s like a science based art form. I have used a lot of programs over the last few years, and almost all of them have worked to some degree. Today I want to talk about some of the most effective tools that I have used. I am not talking about one specific program. I am talking about some principles that one can use for any program.
The principles that I am going to lay out for you have proven themselves effective for almost everyone, so they are pretty solid principles on which to build your program. The best part is that they are very simple principles. Here we go:
1. Do what’s important often- If a lift or movement is important to you, I recommend practicing that movement more often than less important movements. Most of you know that I am a proponent of squat every day, but I am not saying that you have to squat every day. I am just saying that if the squat is important to you, then squat more often. I am talking about frequency and the importance of improving the efficicency of a movement.
2. Get rid of the fat- If you don’t know why you are doing something, then get rid of it. If you can do 100 strict pull-ups unbroken, then you don’t need to practice pull-ups.
3. Assistance should be based on muscular imbalance- don’t do assistance because I told you to or Louie Simmons told you to find out the areas that you are weak and target.
4. Use the Conjugate System- Slight variations in the movement can prevent the body from adapting the workout. The goal is applying a stimulus that will force the body to adapt. If I do the same thing over and over, the body will adapt and stop changing.
5. Use a form of a cyclical wave- you can’t trend volume upwards in a direct linear pathway. You will reach a threshold too quickly this way. I like approaching this in four week block with week 1&2 trending up in volume, delaoding week 3, and then higher intensities on week 4.
I hope these guidelines make sense. Everyone wants to talk about how great their system is, but the truth is that I have watched athletes succeed in several different systems. The common traits of these systems/training centers was:
• Common sense approach using the above guidelines.
• Great atmosphere
• A great group of highly motivated athletes
• A solid coach
• Tools to do the job
So now you know the secret of a great gym or team. Whether it’s Westside Barbell or the Mash Compound, all of these principles are true. However, they are just applied a little differently. Now go use some common sense and create some beasts in your gym.
Team Mash Elite is off and running. Our goal to improve the sport of Olympic weightlifting is having progress already. However we still need your help in making our dream a reality. We are also very excited to watch our ‘youth at risk’ program scatter throughout America and the world. Here is a full report of the progress: “Team Mash Elite Update”
Here are the ways that you can help with this dream:
1. Become an affiliate– Our first affiliate ever was Undisputed Strength and Conditioning in Minneapolis, MN. Vinh, Jason, and the team up there is an extension of our team in North Carolina. They coach with us at National meets, and their athletes are a part of our National Teams. We are one big family. For more details about becoming an affiliate email firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Become a Partner– for more information about that email me personally Travis.Mash@mashelite.com
3. Donate to the Team– thousands of you guys and gals read these article every day. If all of you donated $1-2 we would be in a much better situation. Click on the link below to donate:
4. Come to the 3-day Mash Camp July 8th thru the 10th click the link below to find out more:
5. Volunteer with fundraising, administration, or simply prayers. If you want to help, email us at:
We have big goals. We get it. We will definitely need all the help that we can get. This thing is bigger than three coaches. We need a team. A massive team! We are going to either do this once and for all, or stop talking about why America is terrible on the international scene. This is a chance for all of us to have a part in this.
Please share this with all of your friends!