Tune in to today’s episode of The Barbell Life Podcast as we speak with Coach Mash’s first weightlifting coach, two-time Olympian Wes Barnett, now the VP of Business Development at Thorne HealthTech.
Get ready for one of the best episodes to date as we discuss:
- Playing Basketball and training for Weightlifting together
- How did Weightlifting improve his basketball game? P.S. He was Mr. Basketball in Missouri
- A slower development might be best as he only won one Junior Nationals
- What happened when he found a way to train in Weightlifting and Basketball year-round?
- What was it like to be one of the first group of six at the Olympic Training Center in December of 1990?
- How his development in St. Joseph, MO, and Overland Park, Kansas prepared him for the volume at the OTC
- The improvement he experienced when provided food, sports medicine, medical care, top-level facilities, competitive teammates, and a great coach.
- What were the benefits of the Olympic Training Center?
- Wes relives some of his fondest memories.
- We discuss some interesting thoughts on Youth Development
- His mindset towards his first Olympics in Barcelona versus his second in Atlanta
- We take a close look at Sports Psychology
- A culture shift towards winning versus just showing up at the Olympics
- He gives us a close look at what it was like to qualify for the Olympics in his hometown of St. Joseph, MO, and the improvements he made from then until Atlanta, 1996
- Why did his passion for quality sports supplementation take him to Thorne HealthTech?
- What makes Thorne the choice of all serious drug-free athletes?
- Check them out at www.Thorne.com
THE BARBELL LIFE IS SPONSORED BY:
American-made strength equipment manufacturer providing the best quality, best value, best support & best people so you can build a better athlete.