Well it was nice to take some time off, but it’s time to get after it again.
Going into the American Open I had a handful of injuries. First was a minor wrist tweak that happened 10 days prior to competition that made things in the front rack or overhead a little testy. Nothing major, but really didn’t feel great. Second, and quite a bit more serious, were muscle spasms in my lower back which happened 7 days out taking shoes off. I’ve had these come 2-3x a year the past 4 years or so and luckily (I guess) know how to handle them and heal up better. I hardly lifted competition week and did what I could on the platform- hey at least I got a total!
So with all that it was nice to take basically 4 weeks off from training. The wrist is only occasionally tender and the back is still sore at times but fine. In that time I maybe only lifted 4x and was just messing around. I’m going to take my time easing into the program this first week. No need to crush myself when I’m so out of shape.
These next 12 weeks I’m going to be tweaking the Mash Method program into a Big Man version. Us super heavyweights respond a little differently than the small folk, so I’m going to move a few things around, etc. Anyway, here is how this week has gone so far.
Day 1- Mon 1/2
- Jerk Step from Split 50kgx3, 70kg 2×3
- Hadn’t done these in months, timing a little off. They were light though so no prob
- C&J from Blocks bar @ knee
- 120 2×3, 130 2×2, 140 1×2, 150 1×1
- Multiple reps are my enemy and these felt heavy. Considering I haven’t squatted in a month that makes sense. Still glad I made them all.
I ran out of time so had to stop before starting my next group coaching.
Day 2 – Tue 1/2
I only had about 30 minutes to lift, so I figured to get something in.
- Overhead carry w/axle bar 3x40yds
- Band Pull Aparts x100 total
Day 3 – Wed 1/3
Finally got the full lift in. I’m not going to be pushing it with squats just quite yet. I’m going to let them climb up this first 4 week block.
- Front Squat 3RM with a 5:5:4 tempo plus a 10second hold at the top (yes all of that haha)
- Bar x 3, 135lbs x 3, 185lb x 3, 235lbs x 3/2/2/2
- I was feeling rather woozy with these so I stopped super light
- Push Press 5RM, -15% 2×5
- 135/185/225/275 x 5 then 2352×5
- SG DL paused @ mid shin 3 sec on 1st 2 reps, 5RM, -10% 2×5 no pause
- 135/225/275/305 x5 , then 275 2×5
- Ring Pushup/Bat Row paused 2 sec/ KB High Pull all 3×10
Feels good to be training again. I’m going to let the weight climb up each week for the strength stuff.